Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Postcards from the Middle East

Those of you who have family & friends who are travelling or overseas will nod your head in agreement that the conversation, when catching up with your loved ones, will most times lead back to something along the lines of "...how's church/Sunday school/BC...."?

Part of the reason for establishing this Blog page was so that our church members who are living and working abroad can be kept up to date and informed as to whats going on back at their spritual home.
This week Tala o Tamaki caught up with May Salu who's job as an International Claims & Disputes Officer has taken her across the world to live & work in the Middle East regions. Based in Dubai, May recently took advantage of a 2 week break to take in the sights of some places I'm sure you our readers will be familiar with.

Here is May's account along with photos of a spirtual and fulfilling journey which took her to the shores of the Red Sea, the Sinai Peninsula and even saw her ascend the foothills of Mt Sinai itself! Enjoy...!

Hi everybody!

So much has happened since I left Auckland after Christmas, and well...firstly it’s been awesome to know, and see what our Sunday school and church has been up to, through the Blog page this past week. I really enjoyed browsing, and seeing photos of the ball, the talent show and the services and lessons.

When first asked by Tala o Tamaki to contribute a post to the blog a month or so ago, I was just into the final leg of my Tour de Egypt. This was my 2nd visit to Egypt. After returning in April from Nice in the south of France where I had been based for work since January, I flew home to Dubai where I live, and was glad to be back, to feel the heat of the desert. I took the next plane to Egypt, after a few hours rest.

Egypt is one of the most incredible countries I have visited, and I have visited many, but none has compared to the inspiring Holy Lands in the Middle East. I spent 12 nights in Egypt, and travelled from Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, sailed to Aswan (Abu Simbel), and travelling via faluka (sail boat) across the River Nile, my last 3 nights were to be the best, and the final destination of my Tour.


Faluka - (Egyptian sail-boat)

I flew to Sharm El Sheik the port of entry to The Red Sea and Sinai. When I arrived at my hotel on the Red Sea, it was all peaceful; there were many tourists, but not much noise, just the sound of the sea. Just being there, and knowing that this is where the 'Miracle Parting' occurred was unbelievable! Imagining the story in the Bible and experiencing its trueness being their physically was awe inspiring. I had travelled to Egypt alone, but not once did it feel like I was alone or even scared. The number of tourists there were from all over the world coming to one place was in itself amazing. Everywhere I went and everywhere I travelled there were bus loads, and not 30 buses but more on every site I visited. I have never seen so many tourists ever in one place at any one time.

I travelled with my guides throughout my trip, they were of course Egyptian - Arabic / English speaking, though I couldn’t understand much of their English, but with my little spoken Arabic, and their little spoken English it was enough for me to understand all the remarkable stories they had to tell of the Holy Lands.

I was very interested to hear what they knew about Moses, given they were Egyptian and living in the Holy Lands. They knew enough to be able to tell me the stories of Manna in the desert, the burning bush, and the plagues that hit Egypt. Later that evening we travelled to Sinai which is a 3 hour drive from the Red Sea. We left at around 11pm and arrived at the bottom of Sinai at just before 2am.


St Catherines Monastery (bottom of Mt Sinai)

The ascend was hard having climbed over 3000 steps, it was cold, the air starts to thin out, breathing gets a little hard, and my legs started to feel the pain, there were camels available to take you to the top, but there were also people in the 50’s and 60’s walking, if they could get to the top at that age then I could too. Waiting with many other believers to see the sunrise from the summit, is an experience not to be forgotten, to be able to stand where Moses received the 10 Commandments, was unbelievably real!

Sunrise on Mt Sinai

There is so much to tell and so much more to write but having taught lessons on Miracles in Sunday school one year, knowing the Word of God, and having stood, being there physically, to hear, feel and encounter God and his mighty power is truly one memorable, and life changing experience.

Til next time...
May.
Sinai Peninsula

3 comments:

  1. Hello May
    WOW!! What an awesome time you are having, it's exciting to read what you have posted about the landmarks you have been to. As you've mentioned it must be such a thrill to actually stand in places that we've read about in the Bible. I personally love listening to stories from those who have been to the Holy land.

    It's wonderful of you to share this with our family here in Auckland and further. I have no doubt that you are keen to keep us posted just as we are keen to learn and see more from you in that very special part of the world.

    Take care May, God bless and keep you safe.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I am ultra busy at work but reading Mays' BLOG was well worth it!!

    This is really awesome May, you are so blessed to be there in Egypt, I know it will be an inspiration for some people from chruch to want to experience what you have.

    I can honestly say i am inspired by your story and hope and pray that one day i will be able to walk where Jesus walked, Stand where Moses stood, see the places that we talk about all the time, God willing.

    Thanks for sharing this with everyone, God Bless and take care. Hope to see you at church again

    Have a blessed time!

    Take Care
    Peneueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings May,

    What a very inspiring journey you are embarking on! Firstly, it is great to hear that you are well and adapting well in that part of the world. As the others have touched on there is so much depth to actually 'being there' where events that have shaped Christianity took place. The geographical nature of the Bible is difficult enough to grasp when just reading from Scripture but to actually see these places, smell the air and embrace the scenic wonders must be beyond imagination! Thank you so much for your reflection on your travels and if it's not too much to add to your workload we'd love to see and hear more about how you are doing. Take care of yourself and I hope you get to ride on a camel soon.

    God bless,

    Gary.

    ReplyDelete